Two positions open: Event and Sponsorship Coordinator & Rides Program Coordinator
The Cascade Bicycle Club (CBC) is a 13,000+ member strong organization dedicated to building a better community through bicycling. The Club is a local, regional and statewide leader in bicycle and transportation advocacy and through our 501(c)3 Education Foundation, bicycle commuting programming and youth and adult safety education and training. Our sphere of influence includes environmental sustainability, health and fitness, youth development and livable communities. We produce 13 major bicycle events and offer 1,300 free daily recreational rides annually. Cascade is directed by an elected volunteer board and operates with 24 paid staff.
Cascade Bicycle Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, persons of color, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Employment at CBC is of an at-will nature.
POSITION: EVENTS AND SPONSORSHIP COORDINATOR
The Events and Sponsorship Coordinator is responsible for supporting the events and sponsorship team, which includes two Event Producers and the Sponsorship and Business Development Manager. Event production, sponsorship procurement and fulfillment (delivery on contractual obligations) and sales support are the primary objectives of the position.
- Event setup, take-down and logistics. Requires being onsite at events, assisting with event coordination and willingness to take on a broad range of tasks.
- Pre-event planning. Requires developing and adhering to event timelines, including completing permit requests to government agencies, ordering event supplies as appropriate and attending event meetings.
- Event sponsorship support. Includes sales support and business development functions such as client calls and prospecting, sponsorship fulfillment at events and some post-event support.
- Learning and working with Cascade Bicycle Club event database system. Includes setting up new events, running reports and providing support as needed.
- Working with and/or managing multiple volunteers at events in a courteous and professional manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reports to Sponsorship and Business Development Manager. Works with the events and sponsorship team.
- Full time salary position.
- Six month probationary performance review with annual review thereafter on or about hire date.
- Some evening and significant weekend work required.
- Compensation: $30,000-$33,000 DOE.
- Generous benefits package.
- WA State Drivers License.
- Excellent customer service skills; able to interface well with public and work effectively with multiple stakeholders on numerous projects.
- Ability to lift 50lbs regularly during events.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience working and/or producing events desired.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- BA degree or equivalent experience in field.
- Stable work history.
- Flexible, hard-working, self-starter.
- Keen interest in cycling a plus!
How to Apply: Email cover letter and resume by Monday, Oct. 4, 2010. No phone calls please.
POSITION: RIDES PROGRAM COORDINATOR
The Rides Program
Cascade’s Rides Program provides a variety of rides for the Club’s members and the cycling community in the Puget Sound area. Approximately 150 certified Ride Leaders lead nearly 1300 free rides annually, all conducted under a set of common procedures. The Program also includes the Cascade Training Series (CTS). CTS consists of 16 weekend rides attracting approximately 200 riders each weekend and is designed to prepare riders for participation in the Club’s major events like the Seattle To Portland Bicycle Classic (STP). The Rides Program is overseen by a volunteer Rides Committee whose Chair works with the Coordinator to plan and manage the Program. Together, the Coordinator and Chair provide the interface with other Club staff and programs to ensure that the needs of the Rides Program are addressed and that the Rides Program in return is supporting the Club’s overall goals, other staff activities and Club management processes.
The Rides Program Coordinator provides a resource to expand Cascade’s Rides Program to reach a greater geographical area and a larger and more varied riding community. He/she also ensures the Rides Program’s alignment with the Club’s new strategic plan. The Rides Coordinator provides staff support and coordination for all activities and processes of the Rides Program as developed with the Rides Committee and approved by the Board of Directors as necessary. As a full participant in the Rides Committee, its sub-committees and its activities, the Program Coordinator provides staff perspective and processes to the work of the committee to ensure that the Rides Program is fully supportive of the Club’s plans, goals and other Club activities. This is a working position designed to assist in accomplishing tasks that are beyond the capacity of the volunteer Rides Committee. As a staff member, the Coordinator represents the Rides Committee and its programs in normal staff processes to ensure that the Rides Program is well supported and represented.
Additionally, a major purpose of this position is to support the Rides Committee in planning and executing a strategy to significantly increase the number and variety of daily rides offered to the riding community and to plan and execute the transition of the Cascade Training Series to a for-fee program.
Participate in all Rides Committee and sub-committee meetings and activities to provide timely perspective on other club plans, goals and activities. Participate in normal staff meetings, activities and processes to represent the needs and perspective of the Rides Program. Plan and manage the transition of the Cascade Training Series to a for-fee series that has enhanced value to the participants. All major duties involve planning and coordinating work by Ride Program volunteers including the Rides Committee, Ride Leaders and others.
- Support the Rides Chair in developing the annual Rides Committee Plans and Goals and any follow-up process to ensure that they are executed. Provide similar support in preparing the annual budget and yearend report.
- Participate in monthly Rides Committee meetings and support the Rides Chair in planning and executing the meetings.
- Participate in sub-committee meetings as required.
- Represent current staff perspective and issues, staff processes like finance and marketing, and provide a point of coordination back to the organization, its staff, board and others as appropriate.
- Provide data collection, analysis and reports in support of the Rides Program.
- Become a certified Ride Leader and participate in selected free daily rides to provide feedback to the Rides Committee
- Provide support for and participate in the Quarterly Ride Leader meetings.
- Review and approve ride submissions for the web and the Courier for accuracy and consistency with policy.
- Work with the designated volunteer to manage the Ride Leader Incentive Awards program including the supporting statistics and awards inventory.
- Participate in regular staff meetings to represent the perspective and needs of the Rides Program.
- In coordination with the Rides Chair, provide feedback and reports representing the Rides Committee to the staff and management.
- Develop and maintain the Rides budget and interface with the Finance Director on behalf of the Rides Chair.
Cascade Training Series (CTS):
- In coordination with the Rides Committee and the CTS Steering Committee, develop the plan and procedures for the annual training series.
- Plan and conduct meetings necessary to inform Ride Leaders about the series and recruit them to support the rides.
- Plan and execute the administrative support necessary to execute each ride.
- With the support of the CTS Steering Committee, ensure that the required numbers of Ride Leaders are available and capable of supporting each ride.
- Plan and execute an incentive program designed to ensure adequate number of Ride Leaders are available and capable to support each ride.
- Participate in the series to acquire first hand experience necessary to sustain the program.
- Develop enhancements to the series such as nutrition seminars, personalized training programs, and bike fit classes. Coordinate the execution of all enhancements.
- Plan and support the development of web based tools to plan and execute the series.
- Develop and manage the CTS budget.
- Develop lessons learned after the season to support the planning process for the subsequent season.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Reports to and is supervised by the Club’s Executive Director.
- 0.6 FTE (24 hours per week) salary position.
- Six month probationary performance review with annual review thereafter on or about hire date.
- Some evening and significant weekend work required, mostly on a seasonal basis.
- Monetary compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Benefits package.
Qualifications and Skills Desired
- Education: BA or equivalent. At least three years of relevant work experience with emphasis on team building and leading in complex organizations.
- Cascade certified ride leader or willingness to become certified.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills including ability to manage multiple projects and work accurately under deadline.
- Flexible and creative.
- A mindset to improve systems and procedures to optimize workflow.
- Microsoft Office and computer experience.
- Comfortable with fast-paced environment and deadlines.
- Team player with the ability to work independently.
- A “go-getter” attitude.
- Familiarity with volunteer organizations and procedures desirable.
- Strong recreational road bicycle experience is required.
- Experience with athletic training systems and procedures desirable.
How to Apply: Email cover letter and resume with “Rides Program Coordinator” in the subject field by Friday, Oct. 8