Post co-written by John Mauro, Director of Policy, Planning & Govt Affairs and Kevin Carrabine, Board of Directors and Legislative Committee Chair.
In less than a month, your ballot will arrive in the mail—and you’ll need to make decisions about who should represent you, your vision for our community and your values.
Of course, we know that most if not all of you share our vision for a community where bicycling is safe, normal, and embraced by everybody and where it contributes to a healthier, more livable and more economically vibrant place to work, live, learn and play. We also know that most if not all of you value pro-bicycle policies (like complete streets ordinances) and bicycle infrastructure (like buffered bike lanes and protected cycletracks)—they’re what give us room on the road, keep us safe and allow us to get where we’re going conveniently.
Vision and values become reality through the political process. And that’s why Cascade evaluates and then endorses candidates and measures. Cascade’s board of directors approved early endorsements in June, primary endorsements in July and has now voted to endorse the following for the general election:
- NO on Initiative 1125
- YES on Seattle Proposition 1 (Found on Seattle ballots only)
- YES on Clark County Proposition 1 (Found on Clark County ballots only)
- Claudia Balducci – Bellevue City Council
- John Chelminiak – Bellevue City Council
- John Stokes – Bellevue City Council
- Dan Pike – Mayor of Bellingham
- Lucy Krakowiak – Burien City Council
- Mike Cooper – Mayor of Edmonds
- Diane Buckshnis – Edmonds City Council
- Frank Yamamoto – Edmonds City Council
- Drew Nielsen – Everett City Council
- Fred Butler – Issaquah City Council
- Joshua Schaer – Issaquah City Council
- Joe McDermott – King County Council
- Richard Mitchell – King County Council
- Dave Asher – Kirkland City Council
- Jessica Greenway – Kirkland City Council
- Rob Gelder – Kitsap County Council
- Chuck Paulsen – Lake Forest Park City Council
- Catherine Stanford – Lake Forest Park City Council
- Dwight Thompson – Mayor of Lake Forest Park
- Richard Hildreth – Mayor of Pacific
- Bruce Bassett – Mercer Island City Council
- Debbie Bertlin – Mercer Island City Council
- Joshua Putnam – Pacific City Council
- Tom Flynn – Redmond City Council
- Sue Stewart – Redmond City Council
- Ramiro Valderrama – Sammamish City Council
- Nancy Whitten – Sammamish City Council
- Tim Burgess – Seattle City Council
- Sally Clark – Seattle City Council
- Bobby Forch – Seattle City Council
- Bruce Harrell – Seattle City Council
- Tom Rasmussen – Seattle City Council
- Gael Tarleton – Seattle Port Commission
- Chris Eggen – Shoreline City Council
- Robin McClelland – Shoreline City Council
- Stephanie Wright – Snohomish County Council
- Ben Stuckart – Spokane City Council
- Mary Verner – Mayor of Spokane
- David Boe – Tacoma City Council
- Ryan Mello – Tacoma City Council
- Kate Kruller – Tukwila City Council
- Liz Aspen – Woodinville City Council
- Scott Hageman – Woodinville City Council
- Les Rubstello – Woodinville City Council
- Sharon Wylie – WA House, 49th District, Position 1
Please do your part in creating a better community through voting for bicycling. Better yet, volunteer for a campaign and tell your friends, too. (Hint: use the Share It! buttons below.) Together, we can transform our community into the vision of a safer, more mobile, more livable and downright better and more bikeable place for all.
Confirm your legislative district and voter information here.
Review Cascade Bicycle Club’s Endorsement Policies and Procedures (PDF).
Learn more about Cascade’s endorsement process and how to get involved at our Elections Page. We will update this page as we continue to evaluate candidates in the coming weeks, and we’ll post the latest news here on the Bike Blog.