Cascade Bicycle Club’s Major Taylor Project is seeking an After School Ride Instructor to lead bike rides and enrichment activities for high school students in South/Southeast Seattle. The Major Taylor Project is an after-school program committed to providing bicycling skills and safety activities to an ethnically diverse group of youth. It provides youth with an introduction to different styles of bicycling, road riding and safety, track riding at the Velodrome , mountain biking, and preparation for longer rides (Seattle to Portland STP).
The after school portion will typically take place Thursdays, from 2:00pm to 5:00pm (summer hours may differ), though some flexibility and occasional attendance of weekend events is required. The program is run at five locations, some 1x/week, others 2x/week, from late March to late July. Occasional substitution for other ride leaders may be needed.
There is a required training on March 31 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Diverse applicants encouraged to apply.
The Project Instructor will be responsible for:
• Planning routes and leading weekly rides for groups of 10-25 youth
• Teaching riding skills and light bicycle maintenance
• Teaching and enforcing safe road riding techniques
• Developing mentoring relationships with youth
• Monitoring student progress and needs as appropriate
• Providing documented lesson plans for all activities
• Committing to attend all weekly ride sessions
• Attending special events with youth as appropriate
• Attending Cascade’s 8-hour Urban Cycling Techniques course, and a four-hour instructor training
• Experience (volunteer/paid) working with youth, especially as a camp councilor or in teaching or coaching
• Demonstrated knowledge of bicycling activities and curriculum
• Bicycling experience
• Basic bike mechanic skills
• Ability to relate to, inspire and motivate youth
• Ability to take Cascade instructor training prior to program
• CPR / First Aid certified (we can provide this)
• 18 years or older
• Ability to commit to all seventeen weeks of the program (Week of March 19th-July 15)
Email resume and cover letter to:
Major Taylor Project Assistant
Cascade Bicycle Club Education Foundation
The Cascade Bicycle Club Education Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, or sex.