Stu Hennessey’s Think Outside the Car, Family and Kids Ride is the kind of ride that anyone can do. It will be an easy 2-miler, and the cool thing is it’s just the beginning of the fun – it’s the kick-off of the Inaugural Think Outside the Car event being put on by West Seattle CoolMom. Think Outside the Car (TOC) is working closely with four elementary schools in West Seattle: Arbor Heights, Gatewood, Lafayette and Pathfinder. CoolMom is helping these schools reduce air pollution and carbon emissions by building Walking School Buses, Bike Programs and No-Idle Campaigns at their schools. The project, funded in part by a Neighborhood Matching Fund award of Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, supports parent and student volunteers in creating these exciting new programs through fiscal sponsorship, materials and supplies, and planning.
Please consider biking, walking or busing it to the event. Bus routes servicing this area are here.
- Cascade Bicycle Club’s Bike Rodeo for kids ages 2 to 10 years
- Bike Works demos- Bike Works will be collecting donated bikes and will perform ‘how tos’ for those novice bike riders
- Bike Parade- kids will decorate their own bikes or make a Walking School Bus Vest at the event and ride or walk in one of the parades (11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.)
- Bean Bag Toss- toss a bean bag into our cut out Walking School Bus and win a button
- Raffle drawing- announced at 1 p.m.
- Undriver Licensing Station -create your very own Undriver License
- Live music from BottleRockit
- Delicious food sold by Lumpia World and Athena’s
Date: April 28
Ride Time: 9:30 a.m.
Start point: Lincoln Park, West Seattle @ Fauntleroy and Kenyon St
Terrain: some hills
Distance: 2 miles
Pace: Easy (under 10 mph)
This is a “stay together” ride.
Questions? Contact Ride Leader Stu Hennessey: 206.938.3322; Email: email@example.com