Responding to concerns raised by residents, the Seattle Department of Transportation is working with the community to review roadway conditions along NE 75th Street and nearby roadways.
Since collision data shows that the majority of collisions are caused by behavioral issues such as speeding, distraction, and impairment (driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs), SDOT will pair roadway modifications with new enforcement strategies and area-specific educational outreach.
Following through on commitments made in community discussions over the past year, the City is already moving forward with several initiatives immediately to enhance safety in the area:
- The bus load zone for Eckstein Middle School on NE 75th Street was repainted in April 2013. Please respect the signs and pavement markings to ensure student safety
- Flashing beacons to enhance the visibility of the school zone speed limit will be installed this spring
- School zone speed enforcement cameras will be installed on NE 75th Street in 2013
- The intersection of NE 68th Street and 25th Avenue NE will be evaluated for a traffic signal
- The crosswalk at NE 68th Street and 25th Avenue NE will be remarked with fresh and highly visible paint
SDOT previously made the following improvements to help address roadway concerns in this neighborhood:
- Pedestrian countdown signals (which countdown the number of seconds left to cross the street) and new east/west left turn signals were installed in June 2011 at NE 75th Street and 35th Avenue NE
- A new marked crosswalk to cross the south leg of 30th Avenue NE at the intersection of NE 75th Street was installed in May 2012
- Pedestrian countdown signals were installed at the school crosswalk signal at NE 75th Street and 31st Avenue NE in 2013
A series of community meetings have been scheduled to listen to community concerns, share traffic data, and develop strategies to lower vehicle speeds and reduce collisions. These meetings are open to the general public and all are welcome.
Issue Identification Meetings – April-May 2013
Purpose: Review existing conditions and traffic data, discuss toolbox of potential improvements, and hear concerns and ideas from residents
- Tuesday, April 23rd, 6-8:30PM,
Ravenna-Eckstein Community Center, 6535 Ravenna Ave NE
- Thursday, April 25th, 2-4PM,
Wedgwood Presbyterian Church, 8008 35th Ave NE
- Wednesday, May 1st, 7-9PM,
Calvary Christian Assembly, 6801 Roosevelt Way NE